Noticias

Castillo de Okehampton

Castillo de Okehampton


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Incluido en el Libro del Juicio Final de 1086, el castillo de Okehampton en Devon, Inglaterra, fue construido durante la época normanda y se expandió en el siglo XIV para convertirse en la casa señorial del conde de Devon, Hugh de Courtenay.

El castillo de Okehampton permaneció en propiedad de la familia Courtenay hasta 1538, cuando Enrique de Courtenay entró en una disputa con Enrique VIII sobre la Reforma y fue ejecutado en la Torre de Londres. A partir de entonces, el castillo de Okehampton cayó en desuso. Los restos del castillo de Okehampton ahora están abiertos al público y son administrados por English Heritage.

Historia del castillo de Okehampton

Después de la conquista normanda de Inglaterra, el castillo de Okehamption fue construido entre 1068 y 1086 por el señor normando Baldwin Fitzgilbert, quien sofocó una rebelión en Devon en 1068. En el momento del libro de Domesday, Fitzgilbert tenía el honor de Okehampton: un grupo de alrededor de 200 fincas en Devon custodiadas por castillos, incluido Okehamption.

El castillo estaba ubicado estratégicamente a lo largo de una ruta importante desde Devon a Cornualles, y estaba protegido por un sistema de guardia de castillo por el cual Fitzgilbert asignaba tierras en pago de guarnición. También estableció una ciudad cercana que tenía un mercado y un molino de granos. En 1173, Okehampton pasó a Renaud de Courtenay por matrimonio y el castillo sirvió más tarde como fuerte militar requisado por Ricardo I. Los de Courtenays instalaron un nuevo patio.

Hugh de Courtenay, conde de Devon heredó Okehampton en 1297, ampliando las instalaciones para incluir un parque de ciervos de 690 hectáreas que se utilizará como pabellón de caza con una residencia de lujo. Sin embargo, en el siglo XV, la familia de Courtenay se vio atrapada en el lado Yorkista de la Guerra de las Rosas. Eduardo IV confiscó el castillo, aunque fue devuelto por el lancasteriano Enrique VI. Cuando Enrique VII tomó el trono en 1485, el conflicto terminó y Okehampton fue devuelto a la familia.

La propiedad del castillo siguió siendo significativa y estuvo cerca de la Batalla de Sourton Down durante la Guerra Civil Inglesa. El castillo fue un destino popular para los artistas del siglo XVIII de los estilos Sublime y Pintoresco. En el siglo XX, Okehampton finalmente quedó bajo la protección de English Heritage como un monumento antiguo.

El castillo de Okehampton hoy

Hoy, tome una audioguía gratuita para escuchar la historia del castillo, entrelazada con las historias de los reyes ingleses. Caminando alrededor de la mota se puede ver donde una vez estuvo la zanja de 4 metros de profundidad, mirando hacia las ruinas de la gran estructura.

Deténgase para disfrutar de un almuerzo en una hermosa área de picnic junto al río antes de explorar los paseos por el bosque cercano, un gran lugar para los observadores de aves y los amantes de las flores silvestres que se encuentran esparcidas por la pradera, los bosques y las motas.

Llegar al castillo de Okehampton

En coche, Okehampton se encuentra a media milla al suroeste del centro de la ciudad, girando hacia Castle Road junto a la oficina de correos, claramente señalizada. Hay un aparcamiento gratuito a un corto paseo por un camino desde el castillo. En transporte público, tome la línea de ferrocarril de Dartmoor hasta Okehampton, a 800 metros de distancia. El servicio de autobús Stagecoach X9, el autobús Beacon 118 y Dartline 178 paran en la ciudad.


Castillo de Okehampton - Historia

CASTILLO DE OKEHAMPTON, EX20 1JA

Notas: El estacionamiento del castillo está ubicado en Castle Lane; verá una señal que lo indica en esta dirección en la rotonda. Si pierde la señal, terminará en la colina adyacente mirando hacia el castillo.

Ruinas significativas de un castillo de motte y bailey situado en un bosque. Hay acceso en la parte superior de la mota, pero lamentablemente no en la parte superior que la corona. Tenga en cuenta que el castillo solo está abierto durante los meses de verano.

1. Baldwin FitzGilbert (también conocido como Baldwin de Meules) había acompañado a Guillermo I en la invasión de Inglaterra en 1066 y fue recompensado con creces. El libro de Domesday de 1086 muestra extensas propiedades en Devon. Además de su castillo de Okehampton, fue nombrado castellano del castillo de Exeter.

2. Durante los siglos XIV y XV, el castillo de Okehampton fue propiedad de la familia Courtenay

Elevándose sobre el río Okement, el castillo de Okehampton comenzó su vida como un puesto avanzado normando al servicio de la campaña militar de conquista y control en West Country. Aparte de esta función militar temprana, no se registra que el castillo tenga ningún servicio activo a partir de entonces y sirvió principalmente como pabellón de caza.

HISTORIA DEL CASTILLO DE OKEHAMPTON

Con la rebelión contra la invasión normanda en el suroeste, Guillermo I (el Conquistador) nombró a uno de sus partidarios más cercanos como Sheriff de Devon. Baldwin FitzGilbert (también conocido como Baldwin de Meules) recibió permiso para construir su propio castillo y eligió Okehampton donde construyó un castillo tradicional motte-and-bailey destinado a dominar el cercano asentamiento sajón de Ocmundtune, así como varias rutas comerciales cercanas.

El castillo inicial, construido a principios del siglo XI, era en gran parte un asunto de madera, aunque la torre que coronaba la mota tenía cimientos de piedra y puede haber sido parcialmente una construcción de piedra. Un próspero mercado se desarrolló alrededor del castillo, como se indica en el libro de Domesday, pero en este momento se conoce poca información adicional sobre el castillo. Ciertamente, no está registrado como parte de la guerra civil entre el rey Esteban y la reina Matilda.

A finales del siglo XIII, al carecer de modificaciones significativas, el castillo estaba obsoleto. Además, su papel como bastión militar se había vuelto superfluo y los propietarios se habían trasladado a su residencia principal en Tiverton. Se hicieron modificaciones para hacer del castillo un refugio atractivo para la caza.

A diferencia de la mayoría de los otros castillos de la zona, Okehampton no participó en la Guerra Civil, quizás porque era demasiado ruinosa. A partir de entonces, se permitió que el castillo se deteriorara lentamente hasta que fue tomado en fideicomiso en 1917.


Castillo de Tiverton

Con el final del bloqueo del Reino Unido, esperamos abrir el Castillo después del 22 de julio de 2021.

Los jardines están disponibles para ver a partir del 1 de julio. Llame al 01884 253200 o envíe un correo electrónico a [email protected] para reservar entre las 14:30 y las 17:30 los domingos y jueves. Pago en efectivo a la llegada.

Nuestras propiedades con cocina están disponibles para alquilar.

Pocos edificios evocan tanta sensación de historia como el venerable castillo de Tiverton.

La primera mención de Tiverton está en el testamento del rey Alfred de 885. Era dueño de la mansión de Tiverton y murió en 899. En 1066 era propiedad de la princesa Gytha, la madre del rey Harold, pero Guillermo el Conquistador tomó posesión de ella.

Originalmente construido en 1106 por orden de Enrique I, y luego reconstruido y ampliado en los siglos XIII y XIV, el castillo de Tiverton fue una vez el hogar de los poderosos condes medievales de Devon y de una princesa Plantagenet. Con adiciones y modificaciones posteriores a lo largo de los siglos, se pueden ver todos los períodos de la arquitectura, desde la medieval hasta la moderna, con hermosos jardines amurallados dentro de las románticas ruinas.

Asediado durante la Guerra Civil Inglesa por el general Sir Thomas Fairfax, cayó debido a un tiro afortunado que golpeó la cadena de un puente levadizo. Esta fue la única vez en su larga historia que vio batalla.

En parte como Monumento Antiguo Programado y en parte en Listado de Grado I, el Castillo es la casa privada de Angus y Alison Gordon, quienes están felices de compartirlo con otros de las siguientes maneras:

El Castillo ya no está disponible para bodas, eventos o funciones.

Comuníquese con Tiverton Castle para obtener más detalles en nuestra oficina al 01884 253200


Castillo de Okehampton

En la parroquia civil de Okehampton Hamlets.
En el histórico condado de Devonshire.
Autoridad moderna de Devon.
1974 condado de Devon.
Condado medieval de Devon.

Referencia de cuadrícula de mapa del sistema operativo: SX583942
Latitud 50.73053 y grados Longitud -4.00849 y grados

El Castillo de Okehampton ha sido descrito como cierto Castillo de Madera, y también como cierto Castillo de Masonería.

Hay ruinas / restos de mampostería.

Este sitio es un monumento protegido por ley. Este es un edificio catalogado de Grado 1 protegido por la ley *.

El castillo de Okehampton se construyó poco después de la conquista normanda y está estratégicamente situado cerca del centro de Devon, donde se unen rutas importantes, en un espolón natural de pizarra que estaba separado de la ladera por una enorme zanja. Se registró en el estudio de Domesday de 1086 d. C. como perteneciente a Baldwin de Brionne, que se había convertido en sheriff de Devon en 1070 d. C. En 1274, el castillo, propiedad de la familia Courtenay, se había convertido en semi-abandonado. Varios años más tarde fue reconstruida y ampliada, no como una fortaleza, sino como una residencia ocasional en el centro de un gran parque de ciervos. En 1539, Edward Courtenay fue sospechoso de traición y fue ejecutado por Enrique VIII. El castillo fue despojado de sus instalaciones y accesorios y cayó en ruinas, siendo utilizado como fuente de material de construcción para la población local. El castillo incluye un gran montículo, en cuya mota se encuentra una torre de piedra. Los restos existentes incluyen la estructura del torreón cuadrado del siglo XI construido por Baldwin. Esto se agregó en C14 para crear una estructura rectangular de tres pisos. La mota, que tiene unos 8 metros de altura, está formada por el espolón natural y los depósitos construidos artificialmente. Al noreste de la mota se encontraba el patio de armas que contenía los edificios utilizados para alimentar y albergar a los ocupantes. Los edificios sobrevivientes datan en su mayoría del C14 y originalmente estarían compuestos por un gran salón, establos, una capilla, cocinas y otros cuartos domésticos o de almacén. La muralla estaba defendida por muros cortina, que pueden datar del C12, a lo largo de los lados norte y sur. En el extremo noreste había una puerta de entrada doble conectada por un pasillo. Al oeste de la mota hay movimientos de tierra, que se cree que representan los restos de una muralla anterior de construcción similar a la mota. Se cree que los hallazgos residuales de teja y cerámica romana encontrados cerca del castillo indican el posible sitio de una villa. (PastScape)

El castillo de Okehampton está situado en una curva y al norte del río West Okement, a unos 500 m al suroeste de la ciudad de Okehampton. El sitio domina el valle a través del cual corría la carretera de Devon a Cornualles, antes de la construcción de la carretera posterior cortaba más arriba en el lado del valle hacia el norte. El castillo original fue de construcción motte and bailey y fue construido en 1086 d.C., cuando se registró en el libro de Domesday como perteneciente al sheriff Baldwin. El castillo incluye un gran montículo, la mota, en la que se encuentra la torre del homenaje. Se cree que parte de esta fortaleza fue construida por el sheriff Baldwin y es la más antigua de las estructuras de piedra que se conservan. El torreón del siglo XI era cuadrado, pero se añadió en el siglo XIV para crear un edificio rectangular que sobrevive como una estructura en ruinas de tres pisos de altura. La mota sobre la que se asienta tiene una cima de c.25 m por 30 m de diámetro, mientras que en su punto más ancho la base tiene más de 60 m de ancho. La mota está formada en parte por el espolón natural sobre el que se asienta el castillo y en parte por depósitos construidos artificialmente que le dan una altura de unos 8 m. Al noreste de la mota se encuentra el patio principal del castillo, que contenía edificios esenciales para el alojamiento y la alimentación de los ocupantes del castillo. Los edificios que sobreviven son en su mayoría del siglo XIV y muchos de los edificios originales en el bailey habrían sido demolidos para dar paso a ellos. Los edificios del bailey dieron cobijo a los habitantes del castillo, almacenes y áreas de actividad que incluían salas domésticas, un gran salón, establos, una capilla y cocinas. La defensa fue proporcionada por muros cortina a lo largo de los lados norte y sur del patio de armas, mientras que una puerta de entrada doble conectada por un corredor proporcionó una entrada formidable al castillo en el extremo noreste. Investigaciones recientes sugieren que los muros cortina siguen la línea de la defensa anterior de bailey y probablemente datan de finales del siglo XII. Al oeste de la zanja de la cantera que rodea la mota hay un espolón en el que sobrevive un movimiento de tierra que corre aproximadamente de norte a sur antes de girar hacia el este a lo largo de la cima de la empinada ladera que domina el río West Okement. Este movimiento de tierras es probablemente el límite de una muralla anterior que la del este y su construcción es similar a la de la mota, ambas construidas con pizarra y suelo de cantera. El sitio del castillo también contiene más ruinas al noroeste de la mota, dentro de un complejo al norte del arroyo que atraviesa el sitio. Estos sobreviven como una serie de tramos dispersos de muro de aproximadamente 0,75 m de ancho y que varían desde menos de 1 m hasta varios metros de largo. Estos restos visibles parecen ser parte de otros edificios enterrados debajo de la superficie. El arroyo desemboca en el río West Okement al noreste del castillo y está colindante con una serie de pequeños movimientos de tierra que se cree que representan una defensa adicional en el lado norte del castillo y varias estructuras posteriores construidas después de que el castillo desapareció. de uso. Okehampton es el único castillo de Devon mencionado en el libro de Domesday y más tarde fue adquirido por los Courtenay, responsables de la mayoría de los edificios de piedra que sobreviven en la actualidad. (Informe de programación)

El valor estratégico del sitio puede estar exagerado y este castillo puede haber sido, desde el principio, un pabellón de caza importante y significativo. El principal castillo militar y administrativo de De Brionnes era el castillo de Rougemont, Exeter. Significativamente, el castillo se encuentra a cierta distancia de la ciudad. La ubicación y función deben compararse con Restormel Castle, Cornwall y el trabajo reciente realizado en ese castillo por Oliver Creighton.

Enlaces a bases de datos arqueológicas y arquitectónicas, cartografía y otros recursos en línea


Okehampton, Devon

Okehampton, un distrito municipal, un municipio y una parroquia en Devonshire. La ciudad se encuentra en un valle, en la confluencia de los ríos East Okement y West Okement, y en la frontera N de Dartmoor, en medio de un entorno completo de colinas, su elevación mínima es de 500 pies sobre el nivel del mar, 3 & frac34 millas N por E de la cumbre de Yes Tor, más de 2000 pies de altura, con una estación en la L. y SWR, 197 millas de Londres, y 22 W por N de Exeter. Tiene una oficina central de correos. Se conocía en Domesday como Ockmenton, y era el jefe de la baronía o condado de Devon, y la sede de los alguaciles del condado hereditarios, guardianes del castillo de Exeter. La baronía fue una de las más importantes del reino y fue entregada por Guillermo el Conquistador a Baldwin de Brioniis que fue por matrimonio en la época de Enrique II. to the Conrtenays continuó con ellos hasta la época de Edward IV., y luego Thomas, conde de Devon, lo perdió por participar con Enrique VI. pasó de allí, hasta la accesión de Enrique VII.) a través de varias manos fue, en la accesión de Enrique VII, restituida a los Courtenays fue nuevamente confiscada, a principios de la época de Enrique VIII., como consecuencia de la presunta o real traición de Enrique. Courtenay, marqués de Exeter regresó en la época de María a los Courtenays y pasó por matrimonio en la época de Carlos I a los Mohuns, que se convirtieron en barones de Okehampton y fracasaron en 1712. Los barones ejercieron un gran poder en toda la baronía, ejercieron el derecho a la pena capital en ocho casas solariegas, y actuó como mayordomo en la instalación de los obispos de la diócesis. Un majestuoso castillo fue construido al lado del Okement, aproximadamente a tres cuartos de milla al suroeste de la ciudad, por Baldwin de Brioniis parece haber sido ampliado, restaurado y embellecido por los barones posteriores que sirvió como sede del gran poder baronial. hasta la confiscación en tiempos de Enrique VIII. y luego fue desmantelado y los terrenos relacionados con él fueron devastados, de modo que nunca más fue habitado. Las ruinas del mismo aún se mantienen en pie, y forman, con los objetos a su alrededor, una imagen muy llamativa que ocupan la cumbre y laderas de un monte rocoso, densamente vestidas de árboles muestran el castillo, tanto por su posición como por su estructura, por haber sido muy fuertes forman una gran masa o grupo de mampostería y, sin embargo, están tan embosados ​​en madera que son apenas visibles desde la carretera que se acerca a ellos e incluyen una pequeña torre del homenaje cuadrangular de decoración decorada o de fecha inglesa posterior, y edificios más bajos, con gran salón, numerosas cámaras y parte de una capilla, que van desde el inglés temprano hasta el perpendicular. La ciudad fue visitada dos veces por Carlos I. y dos veces por Sir Thomas Fairfax durante las Guerras Civiles. Todas las partes circundantes de Dartmoor abundan en paisajes pintorescos y románticos, y al mismo tiempo ofrecen pasto a numerosos rebaños de ovejas.

El municipio está bien provisto de agua obtenida de Dartmoor, tiene un sistema de drenaje eficiente y es uno de los centros turísticos más saludables de Devonshire. En 1887, el puente este se ensanchó unos 10 pies. Hay tres molinos harineros y unas grandes obras de ebanistería y ebanistería. Es una sede de pequeñas sesiones y tribunales del condado, sirve como un centro conveniente para excursiones en Dartmoor, y tiene tres bancos, un buen hotel, varias posadas excelentes, dos puentes, un ayuntamiento, una casa de mercado, dos iglesias, cuatro capillas disidentes, un asilo y obras de caridad. El ayuntamiento se encuentra en Fore Street, es un edificio grande y se utiliza para los juzgados. La casa del mercado linda con el ayuntamiento y fue construida en 1826. En 1880 se construyó una sala de mantequilla y aves de corral. La iglesia parroquial se encuentra en una eminencia audaz aproximadamente a media milla al oeste de la ciudad, fue destruida por un incendio excepto la torre en 1842, pronto fue reconstruido a un costo de & pound3500, y es un edificio grande y hermoso de estilo gótico con una torre elevada. La Capilla de Santiago se erige en el pueblo, fue originalmente una capilla capilla, data de algún tiempo antes del siglo XIII, ha sido restaurada, y tiene dos hermosas vidrieras y una torre que contiene una interesante campana antigua que se ha tocado como el toque de queda todas las noches desde tiempos inmemoriales. También suena cada mañana. Hay capillas congregacionales, bautistas, wesleyanas y cristianas bíblicas. El asilo tiene capacidad para 150 personas. El sábado se celebra un mercado semanal, el primer sábado de cada mes se celebra un gran mercado de ganado y el segundo martes después del 11 de marzo se celebra una feria de ganado en el municipio. La ciudad es un municipio por prescripción, envió dos miembros al Parlamento en la época de Eduardo I y Eduardo II, y desde 1640 hasta la aprobación de la Ley de Reforma en 1832, y fue privado de sus derechos civiles por esa ley. Ahora está gobernado por una corporación que consta de un alcalde, 4 concejales y 12 concejales, que forman el consejo del distrito urbano. Población del municipio, 1879. Desde el último censo, sin embargo, se ha producido un aumento considerable, se han construido y se siguen construyendo muchas casas, y su baja tasa de mortalidad lo convierte en un lugar popular de residencia y lugar de veraneo. Oaklands es un hermoso asiento en el vecindario. Okehampton es un gran centro para la práctica de la artillería. La parroquia también contiene las aldeas de Kigbear, Chicacott, Brightley, Fartherford, Meldon, Southacott y Maddaford. Superficie en acres, 12,989 habitantes, 2469. La vivienda es una vicaría en la diócesis de Exeter valor neto, & pound395 con residencia.

Administración

La siguiente es una lista de las unidades administrativas en las que este lugar estaba total o parcialmente incluido.

Condado antiguoDevon
Parroquia eclesiásticaOakhampton todos los santos
CentenarLevantar en
Unión de pobresOakhampton

Las fechas de esta tabla deben utilizarse únicamente como guía.

Registros eclesiásticos

Findmypast, en asociación con South West Heritage Trust, el Consejo de la Iglesia Parroquial y la Sociedad de Historia Familiar de Devon, tienen los bautismos, proscripciones, matrimonios y entierros en línea para Okehampton.


Una posada de pueblo DEVONSHIRE

Pub Devonshire del siglo XVI con habitaciones, situado en el histórico y pintoresco pueblo de Lydford en Dartmoor.

Ahora estamos abiertos los 7 días de la semana, de 11 am a cierre los lunes y # 8211 los viernes y de 10 a.m. y # 8211 cierran los sábados y domingos. Las mesas se pueden reservar en nuestra tienda elástica con calefacción e iluminación a través del botón Reservar una mesa a continuación. Muchas más mesas descubiertas están disponibles en nuestro gran jardín por orden de llegada.

Aceptamos reservas de habitaciones a partir del 17 de mayo, las reservas se pueden hacer a través del botón Reservar una habitación a continuación.

Manténgase al día con nuestras novedades en Facebook e Instagram (enlaces en la parte inferior de la página). Si tiene más preguntas, envíenos un correo electrónico a [email protected]

¡Vea nuestros menús, información sobre pedidos de jardín y ordene su comida para llevar en línea ahora!


Castillo de Okehampton

Hay alrededor de 18 ubicaciones que tienen el elemento de nombre de lugar & # 8216castle & # 8217 adjunto, de estas solo hay Castle Drogo, Gidleigh Castle, Lydford Castle y Okehampton Castle que se acercan a parecerse a una estructura fortificada de la época histórica. Es cierto que hay varios castros de la Edad del Hierro que se llaman castillos y de hecho están fortificados, pero estos no pueden clasificarse como & # 8216 verdaderos & # 8217 castillos. De las cuatro estructuras restantes, el castillo Drogo se construyó a principios del siglo XX, el castillo de Lydford podría clasificarse como una prisión y el castillo de Gidleigh era una casa solariega fortificada del siglo XIV. Eso luego deja el castillo de Okehampton, que puede evocar imágenes de caballeros caballerosos, damiselas en apuros y otras nociones románticas similares. Esta fortaleza es sin duda el castillo más grande de Dartmoor y algunos dirán que es el más grande del suroeste.

Es sorprendente lo rápido que el tiempo puede devastar ruinas antiguas, por lo que siempre es útil leer lo que vieron los primeros visitantes cuando vieron esos sitios. A principios del siglo XIX, James Haskell visitó el castillo de Okehampton y señaló lo siguiente:

Los pensamientos placenteros, aunque pensativos, que ocupan la mente al visitar las escenas de antigua grandeza, se traducen aquí de manera peculiar, por la situación lúgubre de estas Ruinas, situadas en un valle, confinadas a cada lado por colinas empinadas y regadas por un rápido Arroyo. Estos restos están muy dispersos, el lado sur es el más conectado y perfecto, elevándose sobre unos ricos arbustos, agradablemente contrastados, en el lado opuesto, por un bosque colgante, y entre estos interviene un llano, de excelente pasto. En un alto monte, una gran torre, que pertenece a la torre del homenaje, todavía está en pie, pero la mitad de ella parece a punto de caer.& # 8216, (1807, p. 40).

Más de cien años después, Eden Phillpotts describió su visita de otoño y, como se puede ver a continuación, sus palabras superan a cualquier guía, ya que sus brillantes habilidades literarias pintan una vívida imagen mental de lo que vio:

Visto desde lo alto, la planta del castillo podía trazarse claramente, y no se necesitaban grandes conocimientos para seguir su diseño arquitectónico. Los basamentos de los pilares que saltaban a una entrada con arista aún permanecían, y dentro, a derecha e izquierda del patio, se elevaban las paredes sin techo de una cámara de estado o salón de banquetes, por un lado una capilla, oratorio y sala de guardia. en el otro. La capilla tenía piscina en el muro sur, el salón principal destacaba por su imponente chimenea. Fuera, se revelaron las ruinas de las cocinas, y abrazaron un horno lo suficientemente grande como para hornear pan para una aldea. Alrededor se abrieron los cimientos de otros apartamentos y se abrieron profundas ventanas de ojales en el espesor de las paredes. La masa estaba tan unida y unida que antes debió haber presentado un gran cúmulo de cámaras fortificadas con un aro de mampostería, pero ahora la torre del homenaje se elevaba sobre una colina separada al suroeste de las ruinas, y estaba sola. Se enfrentaba a un cuadrado, dominaba el valle y presentaba un frente inexpugnable a todos los enfoques & # 8230 Muy por debajo, el brillante Okement recorre el monte con una faja marrón de aguas espumosas que recorre los prados y más allá, ahora oscuro, ahora débilmente rayado por el sol, asciende Dartmoor a sus alturas fronterizas de Yes Topr y High Willhayes. En el oeste, la tierra vuelve a subir y los últimos fuegos del otoño parpadean sobre un bosque. & # 8217, (Phillpotts, 1930, págs. 65-67).

El castillo se encuentra en el extremo suroeste de la ciudad de Okehampton, si se respira, la fortaleza se encuentra dentro de los límites del límite del Parque Nacional Dartmoor. La primera evidencia documentada del asentamiento de Okehampton se enumera en Birch & # 8217s Cartularium Saxonicum como siendo Melodía Ocmond alrededor de AD970. El asentamiento luego aparece en el Libro de Domesday de 1086 como Ochementone. El significado del nombre del lugar es & # 8216the tonel (u homstead / village) junto al río Okement & # 8217, (Gover et al. 1992, p. 202). Es con la entrada de Domesday que hay evidencia real de un castillo en Okehampton, como se puede ver en el siguiente extracto:

Baldwin sostiene el propio Okehampton del rey (su) castillo se encuentra allí. Osferth ocupó esta mansión antes de 1066. Pagó impuestos por 3 vírgenes de tierra y 1 estadía. Terreno para 30 arados. En señorío 4 arados 18 esclavos 1 virgen y 1 furlong.

21 aldeanos y 11 pequeños propietarios con 20 arados y 2 vírgenes, 6 cerdos.

Un molino que paga 6 chelines 8 peniques, 5 acres de pastos de 1 legua de ancho. 4 burgueses un mercado que paga 4 chelines. 1 mazorca 52 bovinos 80 ovinos.

Valor del total de £ 10 cuando lo adquirió £ 8, (Morris, 1985, p.105d).

De esto se puede suponer que la mansión de Okehampton perteneció a Osferth el sajón antes de la conquista normanda y que desde que & # 8216 adquirió & # 8217 la mansión Baldwin hizo algunas mejoras, por lo tanto, el impuesto aumentó de £ 8 a £ 10. Como se señaló, Baldwin el Sheriff tenía un mercado que generaba 4 chelines al año. Este fue entonces el período en el que apareció el primer castillo en Okehampton aunque cuando se llevaron a cabo las excavaciones arqueológicas de la década de 1970 sí se encontraron piezas de lo que podría ser teja romana. El castillo está encaramado en un espolón de tierra este / oeste que se encuentra al oeste del río West Okement y se encuentra a una altitud de 560 pies. La ubicación topográfica del castillo de Okehampton se puede ver en las fotografías aéreas y en 3D a continuación.

Se ha sugerido que, al igual que otros castillos normandos, Okehampton estaba ubicado en una interfaz entre diferentes tipos de paisajes. En este caso está la zona de tierras altas del páramo que se utilizó para actividades de pastoreo y caza y las tierras de cultivo inferior de los márgenes de los páramos (Creighton, 2002, p.510).

Entonces, ¿qué pasa con el castillo? Arriba hay un par de descripciones de lo que vieron los visitantes anteriores y aquí está ahora una descripción de lo que vi en mi visita durante abril de 2008. Siempre que visito un sitio, siempre me gusta leer sobre él primero, de esa manera no te pierdas nada. , especialmente las características menos obvias. El problema que encuentro con la mayoría de los castillos es que por lo general se han sometido a varias fases de construcción y, por lo tanto, presentan una confusión confusa de paredes y habitaciones. El castillo de Okehampton parecía ser bastante sencillo con solo cuatro fases de desarrollo que conformaban un plan lógico.

Era una mañana fría y fresca cuando llamé, coincidiendo con las vacaciones de Semana Santa, lo que significaba que estaba bastante concurrida. Hay una excelente guía a la venta en el quiosco que lo guiará a través de las distintas salas del complejo del castillo en el sentido contrario a las agujas del reloj. Pero, para ser incómodo, me gusta comenzar en la parte más antigua y luego avanzar en el tiempo, lo que en este caso significaba ir directamente al torreón en el otro extremo del sitio. Mientras camina por el castillo, se le presenta lo que debe ser uno de los íconos más famosos de Dartmoor, el enorme montículo o mota con las ruinas encaramadas en la parte superior. Me sorprende cómo la pila precaria y tambaleante de la muralla del torreón se las arregla para mantenerse erguida, especialmente si se tienen en cuenta las duras tormentas de páramos que tiene que soportar. Si realiza una búsqueda de imágenes para & # 8216Okehampton Castle & # 8217, encontrará que más de la mitad de ellas son de motte and keep y la fotografía a continuación no es una excepción.

Al mirar la mota y mantenerla importante para ignorar toda la mampostería que se encuentra en la base, esta fue una fase posterior del desarrollo del castillo. Entonces, habiendo borrado eso, imagine dos cosas, ¿qué debieron haber pensado los habitantes de Okehampton cuando la estructura apareció por primera vez en su paisaje local? Y en segundo lugar, ¿cómo debe haber sido tener que subir y bajar penosamente por este gran montículo, especialmente con baldes de agua? Hoy se puede llegar a la cima a través de un camino serpenteante bastante suave, pero incluso esto deja a uno con la necesidad de un cigarrillo al llegar a la cima. La mota se construyó en algún momento hacia finales del siglo XI, Higham (1999, p.21) sugiere que se construyó algún tiempo después de la primavera de 1068. El montículo se construyó con pizarra natural extraída de alrededor de la base que luego dejó un zanja que corre alrededor de los lados este y oeste. Las estimaciones sugieren que en el lado occidental la zanja tenía unos 13 pies de profundidad, que desde su parte inferior dejaba la cumbre que se elevaba unos 80 pies por encima. Endacott, (2003, p. 9) considera que originalmente habría existido un puente de madera que cruzaba la zanja y permitía el acceso a la mota. Las excavaciones han determinado que los cimientos de la torre del homenaje se colocaron al mismo tiempo que se completaban las capas superiores de la mota. Se ha supuesto que, de acuerdo con otros castillos normandos, el torreón de Okehampton constaba de tres niveles, la planta baja, el primer piso y el parapeto del techo. Como no hay evidencia de una entrada en la planta baja, el acceso se habría obtenido a través de un tramo de escalones de madera que conducen al primer piso. Parece que es solo en el frente donde se conserva la mampostería original, el resto es el resultado de un desarrollo posterior del siglo XIV. Desde el interior de la torre se puede apreciar la pugna que tienen los restos de la escalera y la torreta para mantenerse en posición vertical. No hay nada espectacular en esta habitación aparte de la entrada al garderobe en la pared suroeste. Por alguna extraña razón, la gente siempre está fascinada con el jardinero, esto es comprensible para los niños, pero ¿los adultos? Originalmente, el garderobe era una pequeña habitación que se usaba para guardar ropa valiosa y posesiones seguras, de ahí el nombre garder (proteger) túnica (ropa). Fue solo en años posteriores que el nombre representaba una especie de baño moderno que incluía un retrete. Para aquellos con una fascinación por tales cosas, se cree en Okehampton que existe la posibilidad de que el conducto privado derrame su contenido sobre la mota. Esto significó que alguna pobre alma tuvo la agradable tarea de limpiar tanto él como su plataforma de aterrizaje debajo, por cierto, estos individuos se conocieron como & # 8216gong granjeros & # 8217. Increíble los pequeños cambios, ¿cuántos de nosotros todavía estamos aclarando el lío de nuestros jefes? Ahora, tengo esta fascinación por las marcas de albañiles y, con mucha frecuencia, estudio con atención las paredes de los edificios antiguos y, mientras lo hacía en Okehampton, pronto quedó claro que muchas de las paredes están cubiertas con grafitis antiguos, nuevamente, nada cambia. Justo dentro de la puerta de la torre del homenaje hay numerosos ejemplos de & # 8216killroys & # 8217 del siglo XIX, como se puede ver en la fotografía.

Probablemente sea un buen momento para explicar mi intento de realizar una visita virtual al castillo de Okehampton. Lamentablemente, no puedo encontrar la manera de incluir videoclips en este sitio web sin que tarden un mes en descargarse. Por lo tanto, si hace clic en cada cuadrado en el plano a continuación, lo transportará a una nueva página que muestra fotografías de las características relevantes en cada habitación.

Haga clic en los cuadrados verdes de arriba para ver fotografías de cada habitación y sus características.

El recorrido de la línea de tiempo ahora se extravía un poco porque para evitar tener que volver a bajar al recinto y luego volver a la mota, es más fácil avanzar unos cientos de años y pasar del torreón original a la extensión del siglo XIV. Se cree que la planta baja se utilizó como almacén o como cuarto de servicio. De cualquier manera, sería básico, aquí en la planta baja las ventanas son pequeñas, sencillas y no habrían estado vidriadas. This could have been for two reasons, either the small windows meant it would be harder to attack or it was deemed unnecessary to waste money on a storeroom or servants quarters. The end wall clearly demonstrates that people of note were living on the second floor, here the windows are much larger, more decorative and would have been glazed. The room would have been much brighter due to the large windows and would have afforded views over the deer park and the fireplace would have made it much warmer than below. In the far left-hand corner is a garderobe which again would have added to the luxury of the room. It is impossible to say whether this layout would have been reflected in another room on this level or if the rooms were simply separated by a wooden screen. Endacott (p.14) suggests this upper floor would have provided accommodation for the lord and his wife or lodgings for any influential guests.

Several times I have banged on about how much this castle was a statement of power and was intended to dominate the local landscape. Every time someone in Okehampton looked up they would have seen this huge, man-made foreign intrusion on the skyline which served to remind them that they were no under Norman control. As can be seen from the photograph below, even today it commands a good view of the modern town.

There can be no question that this Norman motte and keep would have caused any attacker considerable problems insomuch as a direct assault would have been difficult. However, if they were of a patient persuasion and were prepared to lay siege to the castle then those inside would have had some serious problems. There would have been no water supply, no kitchens and if they were relying on divine inspiration, no chapel to boost their spiritual courage. This suggests two things, firstly there possibly was no imminent threat of attack and so such defences weren’t needed, and/or the castle was only intended as an administrative centre. But, here is a thought, in the very same Domesday Book that records the castle there is an entry for Lydford which lies about 7 miles away to the south west. This states: ‘40 houses destroyed since the King has come to England‘, (Morris, p.100b). When this type of entry appears in Domesday it usually means one thing, ‘the peasants were revolting’ and to teach them a lesson their houses were laid to waste. So if this event happened, ‘since the King has come to England‘ that means it occurred between 1066 and 1086 when the Domesday Book was written. Okehampton castle motte was built around 1068 which means around the same time the Saxons were rebelling 7 miles down the road at Lydford. In which case why was there no provision for a prolonged attack by angry locals?

Now its time to go back along the timeline and off the motte to the 12th century when the second phase of development took place. Sadly, there is no visible evidence of this stage as it is all under later buildings and their surfaces. But it would have encompassed the building of a great hall and its associated kitchens and service rooms.

So after that pointless detour we can now move on to the main expansion phase of the 14th century. Personally, I love looking at Great Halls, this was the social centre of a medieval castle and they always conjure up images of feasts, huge dogs, roaring log fires and endless jugs of alcohol. In all reality the Great Hall served not only as a place for entertaining but as the business centre of the castle. At Okehampton there is still evidence of a low wall which runs level with the north wall, this would have formed the dais upon which stood the high table where the lord and his guests would have sat to dine. It was also used to seat the lord when the various manorial courts were being held. English Heritage have kindly provided a bench in the Great Hall where one can sit and ponder the past events. You can nearly smell the roast venison as the serfs bring huge haunches to the top table, listen carefully and you can hear the soft lute and pipe music playing in the corner and the growling of the hunting dogs fighting over a bone. All around the walls are plastered a creamy white with tapestries draped around them, a mixture of hunting trophies also hang on the walls. The dusty earthen floor is carpeted with rushes and sprigs of herbs which when trodden on release a heady aroma into the air which is already thick with wood smoke and candle fat. The huge log fire in the centre of the hall spits and sparks with the flames casting dancing shadows onto the walls. The talk on the top table is of the days hunting and the brave stand that huge stag put up…

Back to reality, just infront of the remains of the dais is a hearth which is thought to have been used to melt lead in when the castle was abandoned in the 1500s. However just by this are the remains of the original open hearth that would have provided both heat and light to the hall. At the opposite end of the hall would have been a wooden screen which separated the hall from the service room or buttery and the kitchens. Entry to the hall would have been via a very ornate doorway in the south eastern wall which led in from the bailey .

The buttery was where all the food and drink was prepared and was the domain of the castle steward who over saw all the preparation and food presentation. It was from here that the servants would carry out the sumptuous dishes to lay before their master’s. Interestingly, as Endacott notes (p.7) there would have been no buxom serving wenches to wait on the tables as it was only males who were allowed to wait on the tables – bang goes another salacious image.

Above the buttery was the solar , this was the private retiring room of the lord and lady, again there would have been a display of opulence here. There would have been a fireplace, garderobe and three large and ornate windows which again for the local area in the 14th century was very plush.

A covered passage would have led from the buttery into the kitchens, in the first kitchen are the remains of a hearth and ash pit along with a drain that was cut through the wall. The second kitchen is slightly larger and contains the remains of two large ovens which had been built into the bottom of the motte. These were built in the next phase of development as was the larder which lies between here and the motte steps.

Having looked at how the medieval body was fed it might be as well to see how the medieval soul was sustained and so just opposite the kitchens are the remains of the chapel. The ravages of time and the Dartmoor weather have been a little kinder here because the full extent of the eastern wall still stands. Originally the chapel would have had a sloping lead roof which was crenellated below this the porch allowed entry from the bailey. Inside the chapel would have been decorated with wall paintings, some remains of which can be seen in the right-hand corner of the southern window. Endacott (p.18) suggests that an ornate, wooden screen would have separated the chancel at the eastern end with the altar supported on protruding corbels. The piscina is very well preserved and is embedded in the southern wall, the water from this would have drained through the wall. On the right of the piscina is a time-worn example of Napoleonic graffiti which was the work of a French naval officer called Giles A. Vincent. He was a surgeon on the French Man o’ War called ‘Rejoirie’ which was captured on the 10th of June 1809. Having been taken prisoner, Vincent was brought to Okehampton where he was given parole , a fact he later recorded on this stone. His inscription reads: ‘HIC V… FUIT CAPTIVUS BELLI’ which Endacott (p.19) translates as, ‘here Vincent was a prisoner of war‘. Next to the chapel was the priest’s lodgings which could be entered either from the chapel or from the western lodgings. During medieval times the priest would have been one of the more important members of the lord’s household and so literally lived on the job to ensure he was always on hand. These quarters would have been small but well appointed with a downstairs garderobe and an upstairs fireplace and window. At the eastern end of the lodgings is evidence of a small, outward protrusion which Endacott tentatively suggests may have contained the castle’s bells which now dictates a slight diversion. Some time between 1291 and 1328 the widow of lord Hugh Courtenay, Lady Eleanor commissioned the founding of two bells. One was inscribed with the words: ‘We were both made to wake Eleanor for to catch game’ and the other: ‘But do by my advice think on Hugh’s soul and so was his name‘, (Endacott, p.29). Both inscriptions suggest that after her husband’s death she still enjoyed the ‘chase’ and that she was concerned for his soul presumably languishing in purgatory. One of these bells, and I am not sure which one, is now housed in the nearby Museum of Dartmoor Life .

Next to the chapel are the extensive eastern lodgings, these would have provided accommodation for guests and servants. Originally these rooms would have been on two levels with garderobes on each floor, it is thought that the servants would have lived on the less salubrious lower floor whilst there betters enjoyed the more luxurious top floor. Again it is noticeable the difference in the window sizes of each level, the lower ones being much smaller and plainer. Access to the upper floor would have been from outside via a flight of steps or by a gallery leading around the building from the great hall.

Of all these rooms it is those at the northern end that seemed to be the best equipped, again there are garderobes on each level but on the upper floor there is still a hand basin embedded into the wall. It is deemed that the lower floor was used as a storeroom of some kind.

On the back of the eastern lodgings was the gatehouse which the led out into the barbican passage and to the barbican itself. This was the business end of the defences for this structure would have been the first place any attackers would fall upon. Evidence of a garderobe suggests that there was an upper chamber above the gate that would have been the guardroom Should anyone ever breach the barbican they would have then been faced with a long passage which led up to the gatehouse. There are traces of a platform running along the inside of the north wall which may have been used as a fighting platform or as a mounting block for horsemen, (Young, 1931, p.35). It is from here that they would have been met with volleys of arrows and other projectiles. Although now filled in, it is presumed that infront pf the gatehouse would have been a deep hole over which laid the drawbridge. The winching gear for this was housed in the upper chamber which also served as accommodation for the castle gatekeeper or constable. There is a small two storied guardroom on the side of the gatehouse which would have served either as the castle stewards office or as extra accommodation. There is also an entrance to the great hall which would have been used by those of a lesser standing when attending manorial courts.

The only other feature left for this time period is the postern gate which can be found in the far end of the south eastern wall. This small entrance would have been used to allow small parties of soldiers out of the castle in times of siege, it would also have served as an emergency exit or to discreetly allow visitors to come and go.

The next phase of development occurred in the late 1400s, early 1500s and comprised in the building of another series of buildings called the western lodgings. As with previous guest quarters these were well appointed with decorative windows, garderobes and wide ranging views. These quarters actually lie upon the in-filled motte ditch and have in sections been cut into the base of the mound.

When looking at today’s surviving ruins there is one thing that is missing, there is no well. Admitted there is a small stream running down the western side and the river Okement flowing to the east. Drawing water from either sources would have proved an arduous task for some poor individual especially when having to slog back up to the castle. But, this problem was overcome by what seems to be a very local method. Creighton (p.54) explains how: ‘rather less frequently we have evidence that castles were supplied with cisterns fed by rainwater or natural groundwater seepage‘ and by this remark he was referring to Okehampton. A similar idea was used at nearby Lydford Castle whereby rainwater was collected from the roof and then piped into the building. Excavations have revealed that at Okehampton there was a building containing a 7ft deep cistern which collected rainwater running off the motte. This was located at the foot of the motte and just to the south of the kitchens. A lead pipe then carried the water off in the direction of the eastern lodgings which is why nobody ever drank it and opted for the ‘healthy’ option of beer and wine, something I do to this very day.

This virtually completes the various phases of construction at Okehampton castle because by 1538 the castle was abandoned and left to decay. Local builders soon took advantage of this situation and began robbing the stonework and as mentioned above the lead from the roofs and windows was melted down. A lease of 1642 documents that parts of the castle were used as a bakehouse and it is thought that the ovens for this are those located to the south of the western lodgings. It is interesting to see that the floor of the oven it made from an old millstone which may indicate that it came from a nearby mill, which brings us nicely to the associated ancillary buildings of the castle.

The Domesday entry clearly states that in 1086 there was a mill at Okehampton, Young (p.35) suggests that the small brook which runs to the north west of the castle: ‘provided fish ponds and worked the castle mill which was just outside the barbican’. Endacott (p.22) and Higham (p.19) both agree that there is a strong chance of the fishponds being in existence during the 16th century but give little mention of the mill. There is however an engraving dating from 1734 that unmistakeably depicts a mill with two waterwheels as can be seen in the bottom right-hand corner of the illustration below.

Also associated with the castle is the adjacent deer park, in fact it is probably one of the main reasons for the castle’s existence. Having just looked at the scroll-bar it will be necessary to do a separate web page for this topic as the park, the Deserted Medieval Village and its feature are a lengthy topic.

I also do not intend to explore the history of the castle, there is nothing more boring than listing lines of people, who they married and when they died. If you would like to read more about the families who lived at Okehampton castle then Endicott’s book gives a full history. Suffice it to say, the first owner of the castle was, as mentioned above, Baldwin de Brionne, Sheriff of Devon. None of his sons had any male heirs and so the estate went to his daughter, Adeliza. Eventually Okehampton ended up in the ownership of Hawisia who in 1173 married one Reginald Courtenay. The Courtenay family then through a long line of heirs held the ownership until 1539 when Henry Courtenay got on the wrong side of King Henry VIII who had him beheaded on the 9th of January 1539. Following this event the Courtenay estates were confiscated, the deer park abandoned and the castle left to decay. In the early 1900s a local man called Sydney Simmons acquired the castle site and carried out some repair and restoration work. In 1917 he gave the castle to the Okehampton Castle Trust who held ownership until 1967 was it was placed under the guardianship of the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works. Then followed a huge consolidation project of the ruins which culminated in an archaeological investigation led by Dr. Higham in the 1970s. In 1984 the property came under the auspices of English Heritage where to this day it remains.

But what was Okehampton castle used for? One of my old Exeter University tutors considers that:

While popular perceptions of medieval castles are often dominated by their presumed military significance and role in contemporary warfare, the defining feature of the medieval castle was, rather, that it served a number of diverse needs. All castles were built, at least to some degree, to serve as high status private residences and estate centres as well as military strongpoints. As judicial centres and seats of local government, castles were commonly venues of manorial or honorial courts, while many royal strongholds were also armouries, jails and treasuries… The impact of castles on the landscape has been profound. As evocative symbols of lordship, they re-shaped the landscape in the minds of contemporaries.’ (Creighton, 2002, p.1).

This certainly would have been so for Okehampton, during the Norman period the inhabitants of the town would have clearly been reminded of whom they served every time they cast and eye to the south west. Here they would have seen the formidable keep perched high upon its pedestal as an icon of rulership and opulence. Undoubtedly during this period the stronghold was a defensive site but also it would have served as the administrative centre for the estate. The Domesday Book records the fact that there was a market which in all likelihood would have been held just outside the castle walls. During this period of history there was great rivalry between towns to establish the most prosperous market quite simply because the busier the trade the more profit the lord made. In the case of Okehampton the challenge came from nearby Lydford who were granted permission to hold a market in 1195 which would have been in direct competition. However, population figures of the time show that Okehampton managed to stave off this competition which eventually lead to a dramatic decline in Lydford’s prosperity.

By 1221 ‘Robert de Curtenay‘ had been granted permission by Henry III to hold a fair as well, both would have provided a good income for the manor. As mentioned above, we know there was a mill which once again would have turned a fair penny for the lord’s coffers as all those living within the manor were compelled to have their corn ground here. So, the picture slowly emerges that as with any estate it was a commercial venture that would have been expected to return a healthy profit from its assets.

In 1298 the Courtenay family created a large deer park which was located to the east of the castle and as a result of this the castle’s role change to that of a luxurious hunting lodge. Evidence of this can be clearly seen from the large development project which saw the building of many of the castle’s features at this time. The castle was to be a place where the Courtenay could enjoy their hunting and entertain the numerous guests who would have been invited for the ‘chase’. This would also give the owners a chance to display their wealth and prosperity through the well appointed apartments of the castle. Once again the inhabitants of Okehampton would have seen another change in their local landscape because the establishment of this deer park meant that many of the farmsteads were cleared away. Creighton (p.191) explains further:

‘Imparkment could also result in the disruption and even displacement of settlement. At Okehampton the earls of Devon cleared the areas south of their castle of farmsteads and removed the community’s rights to other agricultural resources in order to create a vast and conspicuous greenbelt area around their seat of lordship in the thirteenth century‘.

In the end this deer park covered 1,700 acres and once established must have dramatically altered the landscape and people’s perception of it. Which nicely leads on to peoples perception of the castle in more recent times. As described above, from the 16th century the castle fell into decline until eventually it became a ruin. From about the late 1700s it could be argued that Okehampton castle’s role saw something of a resurgence insomuch as it took on a perceived ‘romantic’ perspective. It was at this time that wealthy people went in search of the picturesque which was a phenomenon driven by artists, writers and poets. Suddenly the ruined castle was seen lying in a dramatic and picturesque landscape and visitors came in search of its rugged beauty, as is evident from the wealth of datable graffiti that can be seen adorning the walls today. Below is a small selection of paintings and etchings drawn by artists of this period. It is interesting to see just how much artistic license some of the artists availed themselves of. In particular look at the work shown in image number 4, there you will see a huge river with boats on it which does beg the question, did the artist ever visit the castle?


A tour of Okehampton Castle, Devon

(The keep and motte)

Okehampton has the distinction of being the largest castle in Devon and there is plenty to explore onsite. Before proceeding on our tour, I will begin with a brief overview of its history.

(The castle as viewed from the road)

Okehampton was founded in the late eleventh century after the Norman Conquest by Baldwin de Brionne as a motte and bailey castle with a stone keep. It later passed into the ownership of the Courtenay earls of Devon, with Hugh Courtenay responsible for rebuilding much of the castle in the early fourteenth century. After the execution of Edward Courtenay for treason by Henry VIII in 1539, Okehampton gradually fell into decay and became a picturesque ruin.

(Side view of the Great Hall as viewed from the north-west)

The castle is entered through a barbican, which leads via a passageway up to the Gatehouse.

(The barbican as viewed from the east) (The barbican as viewed from the west, with ticket office behind) (From the passageway looking westwards towards the gatehouse and bailey) (External view of the Gatehouse)

This leads to the bailey, with the Great Hall, Buttery, and kitchens located on the west side, which primarily date from the fourteenth century.

(From the Great Hall facing towards the eastern lodgings) (The Great Hall as viewed from the Chapel) (From the Great Hall facing the Buttery) (The kitchens) (Ovens built into the base of the Motte)

Whereas the other side of the bailey contains the Eastern Lodgings, Chapel, Priest’s Lodging, and Western Lodgings.

(The Eastern Lodgings as viewed from the Gatehouse) (The Eastern Lodgings as viewed from the ground floor) (The Chapel and Priest’s Lodging as viewed from the south) (The Western Lodgings, Priest’s Lodging and Chapel as viewed from steps to the Motte)

The Motte is the most prominent feature of the castle, which is some 25 metres tall, with the eleventh century keep expanded in size in the fourteenth century.

(The Motte and Keep as viewed from the Gatehouse) (The Motte and Keep as viewed from outside the castle to the west) (The internal of the Keep as viewed from the south-east) (The fourteenth century part of the Keep looking westwards)

Okehampton was once adjoined by a huge deer park some 1,700 acres in size, and there are some nice walks around the castle that can be explored.

(The wood to the south of the castle)

This concludes my tour of Okehampton Castle, if you have any feedback or suggestions for future tours then feel free to leave a comment!

(The north face of the curtain wall with the Motte to the right)

Visiting information

The site is managed by English Heritage and there is an entrance fee.

Otras lecturas

Alan Endacott, Okehampton Castle (London: English Heritage, 2005)


Okehampton Castle - History

  • Explorar
    • Fotos recientes
    • Tendencias
    • Eventos
    • Los Comunes
    • Galerías de Flickr
    • Mapa del mundo
    • Buscador de cámara
    • Blog de Flickr
    • Grabados y arte de pared amp
    • Libros de fotos
    Tags Okehampton
    Related groups — Okehampton
    View allAll Photos Tagged Okehampton

    The view on approaching the ruins of Okehampton Castle.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon.

    Some of the nice views across to the high tors of north-west Dartmoor on our walk near Okehampton last Sunday. Large parts of this part of Dartmoor are used for military training and parts of the military camp of Okehampton can be seen on the right edge of my photo.

    Aircraft Type - Serial - (c/n) . . Bell Boeing MV-22B Osprey - 168666 - (D0322)

    Owner/Operator . . USMC

    Location & Date . . Okehampton Camp Devon England UK - 12th April 2021

    To see hundreds more photographs from the 1980’s, through to today, please go to my main website:

    It was announced this morning - Friday 19 March 2021 - that Okehampton would finally be connected to the national rail network, with a daily service to Exeter from December 2021. More detail here: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56450227

    Rewind 20 years and Cheshire Railtours 'The Dartmoor Prince' stands at Okehampton on 26 May 2001 hauled by 47778 'Irresistable', before continuing on to Meldon Quarry. Running as 1Z80 06:55 London Victoria - Meldon Quarry the tour ran via Clapham Junction to Wimbledon via Haydons Road, making this a rare section of line for Class 47 haulage, then continuing down the West of England route via Salisbury, Yeovil Junction and Exeter St Davids, then onwards via Crediton. There was always something special about the original batch of Western Region named Class 47's, and the former D1666 / 47081 / 47606 'Odin' was withdrawn on the 6th March 2004, with final disposal two years later on the 30th March 2006 at EMR Kingsbury.

    Dutch-liveried 37258 forges through the rain at the disused Okehampton station with a short Meldon Quarry to Exeter Riverside ballast train on Thursday 28th January 1993.

    © Gordon Edgar - All rights reserved. Please do not use my images without my explicit permission

    Back to our point of origin now.

    Services to Okehampton began on 3rd October 1871 and it grew into an important junction station. The station was redeveloped into its present format during the early 1930s. The engine shed, turntable and water tower were located at the east end of the station, which is today part of the car park. The original 1871 signal box on Platform 2 was replaced with a brick-built structure on Platform 3 in 1935 which remains to this day.

    Beyond Okehampton towards Meldon Viaduct is the site of the former military sidings, which was the nearest point on the railway to the large military camp on the moor above. Troops, munitions, horses and ordnance were loaded and unloaded here in vast numbers. From 1960 to 1964 a car carrier service operated on Saturdays from Surbiton (in southwest London), and cars were loaded and unloaded at the military sidings.

    The station fell into disuse after the withdrawal of passenger services on 5th June 1972. However, following significant refurbishment Okehampton station officially reopened on 24th May 1997. Today Okehampton station serves as the headquarters of the Dartmoor Railway and the former goods shed is now a Youth Hostel.

    Okehampton Castle is a medieval motte and bailey castle in Devon, England. It was built between 1068 and 1086 by Baldwin FitzGilbert following a revolt in Devon against Norman rule, and formed the centre of the Honour of Okehampton, guarding a crossing point across the West Okement River. It continued in use as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon. With their new wealth, they redeveloped the castle as a luxurious hunting lodge, building a new deer park that stretched out south from the castle, and constructing fashionable lodgings that exploited the views across the landscape. The de Courtenays prospered and the castle was further expanded to accommodate their growing household.

    The de Courtenays were heavily involved in the 15th century Wars of the Roses and Okehampton Castle was frequently confiscated. By the early 16h century the castle was still in good condition, but after Henry Courtenay was executed by Henry VIII the property was abandoned and left to decay, while the park was rented out by the Crown. Parts of the castle were reused as a bakery in the 17th century, but by the 19th century it was completely ruined and became popular with Picturesque painters, including J. M. W. Turner. Renovation work began properly in the 20th century, first under private ownership and then, more extensively, after the castle was acquired by the state. In the 21st century it is controlled by English Heritage and operated as a tourist attraction.

    Aircraft Type - Serial - (c/n) . . Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion - 163060 - (65-547)

    Owner/Operator . . USMC

    Location & Date . . Okehampton Camp Devon England UK - 18th April 2021

    Dating from the 11th Century, as a 'romantic ruin', the castle has been much painted over the centuries twice by Turner.

    Afternoon sun in the East Okement valley near Okehampton.

    Okehampton to Exeter Central - Sunday May 24, 2014:

    Okehampton Station - First Great Western unit 153377 arrives from Exeter Central.

    For more photographs of the Dartmoor Railway please click here: www.jhluxton.com/Railways-and-Tramways/Heritage-Railways-.

    The Southern Railway's Dartmoor Mainline between Yeoford and Meldon following closure to passenger services in 1972 remained open for freight to Okehampton and Meldon Quarry. Eventually the line and quarry were sold to Aggregate Industries which leased the line first to Ealing Community Transport and later to Iowa Pacific Holdings. Heritage services were operated from the 1990s until 2019 along with a summer Sunday only service provided to Exeter Central by (First) Great Western Railway.

    Iowa Pacific entered insolvency early in 2020.

    In Spring 2021 the line was purchased by Network Rail with refurbishment having been going on since January with a review to reopening to full services by the end of the year as Okehampton once again rejoins the national rail network.

    Thus whilst the heritage operation may be over with the rolling stock being offered for sale the line will once again see daily passenger services and there is a prospect of freight from Meldon Quarry resuming again.


    Okehampton Castle - History

    The borough of Okehampton was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1623, and from 1640 Okehampton returned two members to parliament. The most notable amongst these is William Pitt the Elder who was Prime Minister of Great Britain from 1766 to 1768. With the passing of the 1832 Reform Act, Okehampton was disenfranchised, losing both its seats as it was deemed to be a 'rotten borough' having declined in size and importance since 1640. Many such boroughs were controlled by patronage or bribery: Pitt the Elder himself said "[Borough representation is] the rotten part of the constitution." Before the 1832 Act there was no complete electoral register, and boroughs typically had few eligible voters. After the electoral reform the franchise in boroughs was widened to include all owners and occupiers whose property was worth at least £10 annually. The effect of the Act in Devon was a reduction in the number of MPs by 4 to 22, the removal of those in the rotten boroughs being offset by the addition of two seats in the newly created borough of Devonport.


    The White Hart Hotel, dating back to the 16th Century, occupies a prominent position where Fore Street joins West Street, and the balcony was the place from which it is said that MPs used to address the citizenry. It was converted to a Wetherspoons in 2016.

    Okehampton Castle

    In about 1070 a stately motte-and-bailey castle was built at the side of the West Okement river about a mile south-west of the town by Baldwin de Brioniis whom William the Conquerer had created Earl of Devon it was extended, restored, and beautified by subsequent barons including Richard de Redvers, believed to be the 4th Earl of Devon who died in 1193, and successive generations of Courtenays.

    In the last years of its heyday, the castle was used as a base for hunting expeditions in the surrounding parkland. This is well described in 'Okehampton Castle, Devon', ©English Heritage:

    It served as the seat of the great baronial power till its forfeiture in the time of Henry VIII in 1539, when the then incumbent Henry Courtenay, Marquis of Exeter was executed for treason. There was much residual mistrust at the time between the Yorkists and the Tudors, ultimate victors of the War of the Roses, and according to Tudor Place:

    Most of the castle was then dismantled and it was never again inhabited. Here is an evocative portrait of the ruins by John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72), reproduced from Vision of Britain:

    The historical image shown is of "Okehampton Castle, on the River Okement" engraved by Charles Turner in 1825 after JMW Turner's famous watercolour painted a year earlier. Charles was a close friend of JMW Turner, many of whose paintings he engraved with great technical skill and artistry. The ruined castle's haunting presence is used as a backdrop to the contemporary scene showing the wood-cutters at work.

    Another famous painting of the castle is that by Richard Wilson (1714-1782). His 'View of Okehampton Castle' was painted after a visit to the town in 1771. It now hangs in Birmingham Art Gallery.


    Ver el vídeo: Okehampton Castle, Devon. English Heritage (Mayo 2022).